If your child’s upper jaw is too narrow, or the teeth in the upper dental arch are overcrowded, our orthodontists may recommend a palatal expander to correct the issue and improve your child’s bite and smile. Many patients require adjustments to their bite to ensure that their teeth fit together properly, and a palatal expander is a great option to widen the jaw and ensure the teeth have enough space to properly align.
Palatal expanders work by gradually stretching the soft cartilage of the palate to make room for the permanent teeth. Your child’s palatal expanders may be a removable or fixed appliance, and our orthodontists will examine their mouth and discuss their options with you to determine which type of expander is right for your child’s needs.
Benefits of palatal expanders include:
- A wider jaw to accommodate all the permanent teeth
- Improved breathing and alleviated airway obstruction
- Correction of crossbites and other bite problems
- Prevention of impacted teeth and tooth damage
- A healthier and more beautiful smile after orthodontic treatment is complete
For more information about palatal expanders in Pataskala, New Albany, Westerville, Newark and Powell, Ohio, and to schedule a consultation with Dr. Jeff or Dr. Soo, contact Shirck Orthodontics today.