September is actually Blood Cancer Awareness Month, which is intended to bring attention to the 1.3 million Americans who are currently living with or in remission from leukemia, lymphoma, or myeloma. Our practice is very devoted to this cause and a big supporter of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS), the world’s largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. This is not only because it helps those who really need it, but because this cause also hits very close to home for us. Our Marketing Coordinator, Zhenia, was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma back in 2005, and this wonderful organization helped her tremendously during her treatment. Today, we’re going to share a few important facts about blood cancers in America and how you can help.
Facts About Blood Cancers
- A blood cancer can affect the bone marrow, the body’s immune system, and white blood cells.
- Blood cancers can affect people of any age, race, or gender.
- Leukemia is the most common cancer in children and teens.
- Every three minutes, someone in the U.S. is diagnosed with a blood cancer.
- Blood cancers are the third most deadly cancer in America today.
Why We Support the LLS
In addition to helping our own team member, the LLS tirelessly works to raise awareness and help improve the quality of life for those suffering from these diseases. Their efforts include:
- Raising and donating millions of dollars to research every year.
- Providing free information, support, and financial assistance to over 30,000 people each year.
- Recruiting and organizing over 100,000 volunteers to provide advocacy to state and federal governments.
How You Can Help
At Shirck Orthodontics, we frequently raise money for the LLS and support their annual gala in Columbus. We also provide free braces to the special boy and girl they choose each year to represent the event. Of course, if you’re not able to donate money to the LLS at this time, that’s alright, because there are many other ways you can help. To learn about all the different ways you can support this organization, simply explore their website here.
Whether you have only a little time or a few dollars to give, it all matters, and it all makes a difference for the lives of millions of Americans. We hope you’re able to help the LLS, if not now, sometime in the near future.
To learn more about the LLS and the great work they do every day, please visit their website at www.lls.org. If you would like to join our practice in supporting them, we would love it, and to learn how, simply give us a call today.