Porcelain veneers and braces are two of the most popular treatments for people who want to fix their misaligned teeth and achieve a more attractive smile. They have helped countless people, but which one would be best for you? They can both deliver beautiful, lasting results, but in very different ways. Today, your orthodontist in Westerville puts them head-to-head so you can decide and get one step closer to your ideal look.
The Pros & Cons of Veneers
You probably see porcelain veneers every day and don’t even realize it, as they are very popular among famous actors and singers. The treatment involves placing very thin porcelain sheaths over the front of the teeth to enhance their shape, size, color, and spacing. They can even make slightly crooked teeth appear straight, which is why they are sometimes called “instant orthodontics.”
- In addition to the alignment of the teeth, a veneer treatment can eliminate stains, chips, cracks, and gaps at the same time.
- Veneers are custom-made and usually only take two appointments to be designed and placed.
- With the right care, veneers can easily last for 15-20 years.
- Veneers can be quite expensive—each tooth can cost a few hundred to over a thousand dollars depending on your needs, the skill of the dentist, and the type of porcelain they use.
- They can’t help with severe crowding and crookedness, and they are unable to fix problems like overbite, underbite, and crossbite.
- Enamel has to be removed from each tooth that is covered with a veneer, which can sometimes make it weaker and more likely to break.
- Because they are primarily a cosmetic treatment, veneers are typically not covered by dental insurance.
The Pros & Cons of Braces
Braces come in many forms these days. The traditional wire and bracket ones are still around, and many clear aligner treatments now allow patients to get the care they need with a much more discreet option, such as Invisalign.
- Braces can correct simple and advanced orthodontic issues alike, straightening the teeth and aligning the bite to improve the smile as well as the profile of the face.
- Orthodontic treatment can relieve chronic pain associated with stressed, misaligned, and overworked jaw joints.
- The results you get with orthodontics can easily last for a lifetime.
- The treatment time for orthodontics can range from 6-36 months depending on your situation.
- Initially adjusting to orthodontic treatment can be somewhat uncomfortable for a few days.
- Orthodontic care can be expensive, though it can often be largely covered by dental insurance.
And the Winner Is…
…it depends! If you’re hoping to fix a few aesthetic flaws, then veneers are likely the right choice, but if your teeth are noticeably misaligned or crowded, then braces are probably the way to go. Thankfully, you don’t have to make this decision on your own. You can come see us at Shirck Orthodontics for a FREE consultation where we’ll give you an exam and let you know if you could benefit from orthodontic care. From there, you should have all the information you need to make a confident decision about your smile.
About the Author
Dr. Jeffrey Shirck is an award-winning orthodontist who serves patients of all ages in the Westerville area. Thanks to his experience and years of specialty training, he’s able to provide a wide range of services, from regular braces to clear braces to Invisalign, to help people get the eye-catching smiles they deserve. To learn more about your orthodontic options, contact us today to schedule a FREE consultation.