- To help your teeth maintain their new position, follow Dr. Shirck's instructions for wearing your custom-made retainer.
- Bring your retainer to each follow-up appointment with Dr. Shirck.
- Retainers should be cleaned once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. The purpose of cleaning a retainer is to remove plaque and odors. A denture cleaner will also help but shouldn't be substituted for regular cleaning with a toothbrush.
- Do not expose your retainer to hot or boiling water. Use warm water only.
- Remove your retainer when eating, otherwise you will damage it.
- When you're not wearing your retainer, store it in a protective case. Many patients lose their retainer because they don't keep it somewhere safe.
- Patients who are still learning to wear a retainer should practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud.
- Do not go swimming with your retainer.