- To help your teeth maintain their new position, follow Dr. Shirck's instructions for wearing your custom-made retainer.
- Bring your retainer to each follow-up appointment with Dr. Shirck.
- Retainers should be cleaned once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. The purpose of cleaning a retainer is to remove plaque and odors. A denture cleaner will also help but shouldn't be substituted for regular cleaning with a toothbrush.
- Do not expose your retainer to hot or boiling water. Use warm water only.
- Remove your retainer when eating, otherwise you will damage it.
- When you're not wearing your retainer, store it in a protective case. Many patients lose their retainer because they don't keep it somewhere safe.
- Patients who are still learning to wear a retainer should practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud.
- Do not go swimming with your retainer.
- If you damage your retainer or need to have it re-sized, do not try to fix it yourself. For changes to your retainer, call Shirck Orthodontics in New Albany, Pataskala, Westerville or Newark for an appointment.
We also serve the areas of Westerville, Sunbury, New Albany, Alexandria, Granville, Johnstown, Newark, Blacklick, Reynoldsburg, and beyond.