When something is off with the alignment of your jaw, you feel it. The condition known as TMJ/TMD, or temporomandibular joint dysfunction, can leave its sufferers experiencing chronic headaches, facial and ear pain, not to mention difficulty eating and speaking. At Shirck Orthodontics, Dr. Shirck is happy to offer patients who may be dealing with TMJ/TMD a state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment tool — the TruDenta system. Keep reading to learn more about TMJ/TMD therapy for Pataskala, New Albany and Westerville, and how TruDenta works to relieve your pain.
All About TMJ/TMD
Your TMJ is a set of tiny joints and ligaments that attach your jawbone to the skull. It’s an intricate system, and dysfunction is not uncommon — especially in the event of strain, injury or excessive movement (consciously or during sleep). Symptoms of TMJ/TMD include the following.
- Jaw clicking or popping
- Jaw pain (especially during use)
- The sensation that the jaw locks into place
- Chronic headaches or migraines
- Facial, head or ear pain
- Difficulty chewing, speaking or opening the mouth
If you suspect (or if you already know) you are suffering from a dysfunction with the TMJ, relief is in sight with the TruDenta system at Shirck Orthodontics.
How TruDenta Works
The team at Shirck Orthodontics can use TruDenta to evaluate and plan your treatment for TMJ/TMD. This system is combined with orthodontics because we know that years of living with a misaligned jaw can lead to major pain — and correcting the bite is the only way to live comfortably once again.
TruDenta is a combination of technologies that offers a variety of options for helping you overcome your jaw condition. TruDenta is pain free, minimally invasive and offers fantastic results for patients dealing with the painful effects of TMJ/TMD.
The technology works in two stages.
- Assessment: Before we can begin to treat your symptoms, we must know their precise source. TruDenta helps us identify the problem with your jaw — where the misalignment lies and where the bite should normally fall. With a series of tests, TruDenta provides vital information about your jaw that helps Shirck Orthodontics to create a treatment plan suited especially for you.
- Treatment: Once an effective plan has been put in place, your treatment can begin. The solution may be found in the form of ultrasound, trigger point, electro-current or low-level lasers.
Learn More Today
If you or someone you love are suffering from the pain of a misaligned jaw, find out if you could benefit from TMJ/TMD treatment in Pataskala, New Albany or Westerville from TruDenta! We can help you relieve pain and smile, eat and speak comfortably once again. Contact us today!